Nestled high in the Western Ghats, Dudhsagar is one of India’s tallest waterfalls. One can reach the southern village of Kolem early by 9 am and start the 4-hour trek to Dudhsagar Falls. With water gushing down from steep heights the view of water cascading downwards is a sight to behold and a must for all shutterbugs. Upon arriving at the poolside, at the foot of the falls, there is more fun on offer as you can pamper yourself by swimming and bathing and also trek your way around the Railway Bridge and explore the waterfalls like never before. If one starts by 9 am you can finally approach the summit by 2 pm.
Dudh Sagar Waterfall in Monsoon
Goa can be best enjoyed during Monsoon. Lush green surroundings and abundant rainfall can really enthrall tourists and visitors who crave to visit this tiny south coastal state of India. Although there several attractions on offer, what will leave you in a daze is the beauty and magnificence of the gigantic Dudh sagar water fall – the pride of Goa. This marvel of nature can best be enjoyed in Goa during monsoon as the 4-tired waterfall is in full flow and can be compared to a thick pillar of “milk” gushing down from heights of 300 feet.
The best way tourists can enjoy their tour to Dudhsagar fall, located in the south of Goa, is by trekking to it. Due to heavy rains, jeep safari is not operational during monsoon but is available post-monsoon from October onwards. With the river flowing over the road, only trekking is the best option available with various packages on offer and comes with a guide assisting.
It may be noted that the trip is worth every penny spent as tourists have always gone back home with sweet memories. Jeep ride (post-monsoon) is always a thrilling experience as one gets to gaze at the splendid surrounding involving the jungle and the river.
Best Selling: Dudhsagar package from Calangute
How to Reach Dudhsagar Falls ?
People go crazy to treat their eyes by watching this cascading effect of falls in all seasons. This waterfall is a part of the Bhagwan wildlife sanctuary as the background of this waterfall is covered with complete greenery of the forest.
Situated in the Sanguem Taluka along the Mandovi River, reaching here is not a challenging task. Due to massive tourist attractions, the commute here is comfortable and frequent. No matter where you stay, you can always find a way to reach here.
- From Panaji – Dudhsagar is only 71 km from Capital Panjim. Hence, you can either book a cab or self-drive. Or if your pocket is a bit low, you can board a bus to Tambdi Surla. From here, book a taxi and roll over to the falls.
- From Mumbai – by road, the distance between the two is 596 Km, whereas the train route is 439 km. You can either reserve a train seat, book a cab, or bus, or self-drive by car. Best advised is the train route, which takes 13 hours approx. and costs around 2200-2700 rupees.
- From Chennai – Mao Vasco Exp is the easiest route to Dudhsagar falls. The train runs only on Friday and passes through this falls. Though it has no official stop at falls, it sometimes makes a stop for tourists. But if you don’t get this opportunity, you can stop at Kulem Railways Station. It is the nearest railway station to the waterfall and is only 15 km away. Book a cab and reach back here.
- From Bangalore – you can either go by the train route to Castle Rock and further to Kulem. Otherwise, you can enjoy the distance in your own car and with your own people. It takes 12 hours by car to reach Calangute. From here, the Dudhsagar falls is 85 km, which means another 2.5 hours.
- From Pune – If planning a trip from Pune, board a train and reach Kulem. From here, you can book a cab or bus and reach the destination.
For first-timers, the waterfall is a great place to visit through an organised trip. The rail bridge that runs across the top of dudhsagar waterfall is a great vantage point to view the gushing water spiraling down the mountainside. You can swim beneath the waterfall or sit on the rocks soaking up the sun or rain and maybe sip a cold drink and listen to nature’s own music generated by to falls smashing down and share your personal experience with friends and family.
Due to safety purposes and other reasons, the falls, as well as the Bhagwan Wildlife sanctuary (Mollem National Park), do not remain open throughout the day. The gate to the wildlife sanctuary opens at 7 in the morning. At 5’o clock in the evening, the gate closes (Last updated on December 2023). If you want to enjoy every second of your trip, reach the destination as soon as possible in the morning.
Best Time to Visit Dudhsagar
Every tourist places have geographical significance. And accordingly, the tourist accommodations are planned. When it comes to Dudhsagar falls, the best time to visit the falls in the summer season. The months from October to May are the most preferred. This is because in this season, the water level of the falls is moderate, and you can clearly see the serene beauty of nature. The weather remains pleasant and very peaceful.
During monsoon season, the water level of River Mandovi rises to a great extent. And as it is located in the wildlife sanctuary, this season has a high chance of tourists spotting wild animals. So, if you are afraid of all these, avoid the monsoon months. But no doubt, the waterfall looks breathtaking even in the rainy season.
The best way one can enjoy the fall is to reach early and bask in the serenity. It is not possible to visit the falls throughout the year as only during Monsoon the water levels surrounding the fall rise quite astonishingly and that’s the moment of glory.
Dudhsagar Waterfall Entry Fee
Dudhsagar falls to give you lifetime memories. And when it comes to enjoyment and trips and tours, people don’t pay much heed to the money they are investing. But obviously, the budget is a prime concern. Keeping all this in mind, the forest administration of Bhagwan wildlife sanctuary charges you a pocket-friendly entry fee. Rs. 400 is charged per head. If you want to capture the special moments, carry a camera which will cost you Rs.300. If you are planning professional photography, it may cost you up to Rs.5000. (Price Last Updated on December 2023)